[PVE-User] backups of LVM disk images

Frederic Van Espen frederic.ve at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 09:02:30 CEST 2014

Hi all,

We have our disk images stored inside an LVM volume group. Each KVM vm
has his own LVM volume, so it's not a file on the filesystem.

I am trying to configure backups of all our vm machines. When I launch
a backup, I am wondering how this is happening internally, and how I
can make sure that what is backed up is a valid backup? I was
expecting that since it is inside an LVM volume group it would create
an lvm snapshot of the lvm volume that is being backed up, and then
copy the snapshot, but I don't see any snapshots with lvdisplay while
the backup is running. I fear that this means that the backups will be
corrupted if anything changes on the VM while the backup is running.
Can anyone confirm that?

Of course I could work around this by implementing my own backup
script, but It would be nice if I could use the included functionality
in proxmox.

Thanks,

Frederic