[PVE-User] Extending LVM SAN storage

Gilles Mocellin gilles.mocellin at nuagelibre.org
Tue Sep 17 16:53:38 CEST 2013

Le 17/09/2013 13:46, VIDAL, Thomas (Bioversity-France) a écrit :
> [...]
> On 12/09/2013 11:13, VIDAL, Thomas (Bioversity-France) wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> For the moment I have two proxmox nodes (2 Dell R720), not running in
>> cluster, and both are connected to a Dell MD3220i SAN. At the
>> beginning the SAN has only 500Gb of HD, then now I added in the SAN
>> several discs and add them in the SAN interface. I have now 3Tb in
>> the SAN. But proxmox nodes are still using and viewing 500Gb.
>>
>> Can someone help me in procedure to extending the size in Proxmox ? I
>> found several web pages on this, but not all pages are saying exactly
>> the same.... and I don't want to crash all nodes and VMs....
>>
>> Many thanks and have a nice day.
>>
>> Thomas

Hello,

I suppose your LUN is presented to your nodes via iSCSI.
This bring a SCSI device to your nodes. Find wihch, with lsscsi for
example (install it via "apt-get install lsscsi").
Suppose that it is /dev/sdb.
Look at its size with fdisk -l /dev/sdb.
If it's 500GB, you will have to reconnect the iSCSI Target, and probably
have to stop your VMs...
"/etc/init.d/open-iscsi restart"

If the size is good (3TB), then let's go one level up.
Here I also suppose you have LVM on top of iSCSI.

running "pvs" as root will list your PVs with their size and free space.
Here, you'll see that /dev/sdb is 500GB and has free space.
You can resize it with "pvresize /dev/sdb".
After that, your VG will be bigger, because it contains the resized PV.
And you can add more VMs and disks inside that storage.

--
Gilles Mocellin
Nuage Libre