[PVE-User] Proxmox cluster: request for user feedback on prospective hardware

Philippe Andersson pan at iba-group.com
Thu Oct 31 17:08:58 CET 2013

Hello,

We're in the process of selecting the hardware to host a new Proxmox
cluster, and we would welcome any feedback you might have on the listed
components, specifically in terms of compatibility, performance and
reliability under Proxmox.

Proxmox cluster nodes:
----------------------
HP C7000 enclosure +  BL460c Gen8 blades

Networking interconnect on the enclosure backplane:
HP BLc VC FlexFabric 10Gb/24-port
-or-
HP BLc VC Flex-10/10D Module

- does Proxmox support NICs with non-standard bandwidth (e.g. 3.5 Gbps) ?
- would the kernel detect it if a NIC had its bandwidth modified "live"
and adapt ?
- can Proxmox use a dedicated Flex NIC to perform live migrations ?

SmartArray controller to SAS SAN:
---------------------------------
HP Smart Array P721m/2G FBWC Ctrlr
HP Smart Array P220i Controller
HP 6Gb SAS BL Switch
HP P2000 G3 SAS MSA Dual Cntrl SFF Array

- does Proxmox support dual-pathing over SAS to the SAN ?

Flex10 to LeftHand VSA (through iSCSI):
---------------------------------------
HP BLc VC Flex-10/10D Module
HP D2200sb PCIe/StoreVirtual VSA
HP BL460c Gen8 E5-v2 10Gb FLB CTO Blade

- does Proxmox support iSCSI dual-pathing ?
- can Proxmox use iSCSI over a dedicated Flex NIC ?

FlexFabric to 3PAR 7200 SAN (over FC):
--------------------------------------
HP BLc VC FlexFabric 10Gb/24-port
HP 3PAR StoreServ 7200 2-N Storage Base

- does Proxmox support FC dual-pathing over FlexFabric ?

I guess that the answer to most of these question rely in the end on
this one: is it possible to install the HP PSP (Proliant Support Pack,
also called Smart Update Manager now) on Proxmox ?

Any feedback welcome.

Cheers. Bye.

Ph. A.

--