[PVE-User] kvm guest with kexec causing host crash

Frederic Van Espen frederic.ve at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 08:35:52 CEST 2013

On 09/19/2013 08:51 AM, Frederic Van Espen wrote:
> I've had another crash, although I wasn't rebooting any guests. In fact
> there was only one kvm guest running and I was on holiday, I was able to
> take a "screenshot" :-) It's attached. Any pointers as to what may be
> causing this?
>
> This host was running fine on pve 2.3. I upgraded to the latest version
> a few weeks back.

I have had another crash on different node with different hardware this
time. This one as well was running fine under pve 2.3 with kernel (IIRC)
2.6.32-19-pve.

The hardware is a HP DL360 G8.

It crashed again while I was rebooting a guest with kexec reboots
enabled. Screenshots attached.

This feels like a regression since pve 2.3 to me. Has no-one else
suffered from this? Perhaps kexec is not often used in kvm guests. In my
case it is part of a product, which is why it is almost always installed
on our development and testing guests.

Cheers,

Frederic