[PVE-User] PVECluster Issue

David Thompson david at digitaltransitions.ca
Mon Nov 18 14:05:03 CET 2013

Hi everyone,

I have an issue with a intel modular server with 5 nodes. Whenever the nodes run a backup, some of them fail and often the VM’s become locked. These VM’s are all QEMU based virtual servers and not openvz as they are Windows servers.

Often everyday, I need to restart the cluster after something like this appears in the backup logs by going to one of the nodes that is red and restarting the PVECluster, which I believe is the correct way to do this, so please correct my if I’m wrong.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump 103 101 --quiet 1 --mailto snip at snip --mode snapshot --compress lzo --storage nfsData --node node2
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 101 (qemu)
INFO: status = running
INFO: unable to open file '/etc/pve/nodes/node2/qemu-server/101.conf.tmp.666400' - Software caused connection abort
INFO: update VM 101: -lock backup
ERROR: Backup of VM 101 failed - command 'qm set 101 --lock backup' failed: exit code 107
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 103 (qemu)
ERROR: Backup of VM 103 failed - unable to find configuration file for VM 103 - no such machine
INFO: Backup job finished with errors
TASK ERROR: job errors
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump 106 --quiet 1 --mailto snip at snip --mode snapshot --compress lzo --storage nfsData --node node4
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 106 (qemu)
INFO: status = running
INFO: unable to open file '/etc/pve/nodes/node4/qemu-server/106.conf.tmp.641046' - File exists
INFO: update VM 106: -lock backup
ERROR: Backup of VM 106 failed - command 'qm set 106 --lock backup' failed: exit code 17
INFO: Backup job finished with errors
TASK ERROR: job errors

The backups all go to an NFS share mounted on on a private network over gig ethernet.
Any ideas as to why this is happening? The backups are all staggered from the hosts to back up to the share

Thanks for any insight.

David Thompson