[PVE-User] Proxmox NFS issue

Pongrácz István pongracz.istvan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 18:43:06 CET 2013

 Hi,

I just read your issue.

Some comments on your ZFS server setup:

for ZIL, in your config, 1-8GB size more than enoug in any case

L2ARC - it needs ram to keep header information in ARC, probably lower l2arc than actual

Example: for ZIL and L2ARC, you should be better with 2 x 60GB SSD:

2 x 40GB for L2ARC, striped, let's say sdb2 and sdc2 - total 80GB

2 x 5GB for ZIL, in mirror, let's say sdb1 and sdb2 - total 5GB (mirror)

you should check your ZFS setup in details (compression, atime, ashift, dedup etc.)

compression: lz4, atime: off, ashift: 12, dedup: off, blocksize 128k

you should check your raw ZFS performance on the nas, be careful, not as simple as sounds

check your cache hit rates (arc, l2arc),

check your iostats under load (zpool iostat -v 1)

read carefully the manual of the chosen ZFS implementation, seriously, great tool, but needs some knowledge

sign up to a zfs specific mailing list to get ZFS specific help

Network:

check your NFS setup on the ZFS server (sync vs. async)

check your Proxmox nfs client settings, how do you mount

Proxmox:

try to use writeback cache

compare raw and qcow2 format performance, choose the better one

install proxmox into a kvm and check its pveperf - good indicator

you can mount nfs manually and setup proxmox to use that point as a simple directory -> you can tune nfs parameters

In kvm:

try to use safe delete regularly or always (overwrite deleted files with 0)

In general, if you tune one parameter, it should need change other parameters as well, for example if you use qcow2 as image format on the proxmox server, the zfs compression should be zle or off.

My opinion, your problem at this moment somewhere in your network/nfs setup, later you will have issues with ZFS under real world load :)))))))

Bye,

István