[PVE-User] Interested in running Proxmox on a single (for now) colo node

Michael Rasmussen mir at miras.org
Wed Nov 6 18:40:35 CET 2013

On Wed, 06 Nov 2013 11:14:19 -0600
Adam Thompson <athompso at athompso.net> wrote:

> On 13-11-06 11:00 AM, Michael Rasmussen wrote:
> > On Wed, 06 Nov 2013 11:28:41 -0500
> > Rob Fantini <rob at fantinibakery.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I think many others  use pfsense in a KVM.
> >>

> >> check forum for threads about cpu type.   I think we had to use a particular type.
> >>
> > If it is Intel chipset on the motherboard newer than Sandy Bridge you
> > should install the i386 version of pfSense and use qemu32 as cpu. Also
> > no virtio or sata. Personally I use ide and E1000 nics.
>
> Both the i386 and amd64 versions of pfSense work fine under KVM using the kvm64 CPU type.
This is not my experience. YMMW.

> There is a running debate over whether to use virtio or E1000 for the NICs.  Either one should be fine...
> Don't use IDE as the disk type if you're going to run any services on pfSense (e.g. proxy); SCSI and SATA both work.  Booting from virtio disk does not yet work out-of-the-box, there's a trick to
If you want a HA setup SATA is not an option since live migration of
SATA is not supported in QEMU currently. The live migration code for
SATA is disabled by the qemu developers due to instability.

--
Hilsen/Regards
Michael Rasmussen

Get my public GnuPG keys:
michael <at> rasmussen <dot> cc
mir <at> datanom <dot> net
mir <at> miras <dot> org
If man is only a little lower than the angels, the angels should reform.
		-- Mary Wilson Little