[PVE-User] Interested in running Proxmox on a single (for now) colo node

Adam Hunt voxadam at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 00:34:05 CET 2013

>From my reading it would seem that Proxmox was designed for uses who
maintain a cluster of Proxmox instances.

I'm interested in experimenting with Poroxmox using a single node for
experimentation. Specifically I'm interested in using it on a single lowish
end colo box: Ivy Bridge, Intel Xeon E3 1245v2, 4 cores, 8 threads running
3.4 GHz (including VT-x and VT-d), 32 GB of memory, 2 x 3 TB SATA drives
(soft RAID only), gigabit Ethernet, and the possibility of multiple IPs at
a monthly cost.

My primary question is that I don't need all my VMs or containers to have
private IPs, I assume port forwarding should work in the majority of cases.
My thought was to use one dedicated public IP for management of the Proxmox
instance and one or more IPs for various services, off-site backup, web
serving, VPN, DNS, VoIP, etc. Does this setup sound tenable?

One thing I'm a bit foggy on is where the firewall and forwarding is
managed. Are all the rules setup in the Proxmox host or do I route the
non-management IPs to a dedicated firewall VM (I use pfSense in various
places) and distribute IPs and forward ports them from their (that seems a
little convoluted).

Thanks for your help. One day I do hope to expand my Proxmox install to a
cluster where I can get full use of its capabilities.

--adam