[PVE-User] image import to a lvm based vm

Flavio Stanchina flavio.stanchina at ies.it
Tue Mar 5 14:06:44 CET 2013

Ingo Schmitt wrote:
> 2. can i use the vg i have allocated to pve for other things too
> or should i better create a separate one to avoid conflicts?

You can use it for other things, but I wouldn't recommend it. If you
really want to, just be careful not to confuse volumes: PVE uses LVM
tags to identify its volumes, but for added safety avoid calling *your*
volumes "vm-XXX-disk-Y".

> 3. not really related to pve, however:
> are any dancers when using lvm mirrors instead of mdadm disk mirrors?

No dancers here, but check back on a Saturday night. ;)

Jokes aside, I prefer to avoid LVM mirrors as they are a relatively
recent addition, not as tested as MD mirrors and besides I don't like a
few things about the implementation. Anyway, software RAID is not
supported by the Proxmox team: use hardware RAID with battery-backed
cache if you care about performance.

--
Flavio Stanchina
Informatica e Servizi