[PVE-User] pve-user Digest, Vol 59, Issue 22

Tonči Stipičević tonci at suma-informatika.hr
Wed Feb 27 12:18:42 CET 2013


Hello Fabio 

thank you for your will to compare open-source NAS sw 
I will defintely read (and learn from) your results.
But I'm just wondering why is FreeNAs ISCSI so bad ?
form my expirience  iscsi was little faster than nfs ...

What kind of tests showed that NFS a way better than iscsi ?

thank you very much in advance and


srdačan pozdrav / best regards

Tonči Stipičević
direktor / manager
	


d.o.o.
ltd.
podrška / upravljanje
IT sustavima za male i srednje tvrtke

Small & Medium Business 
IT support / management
Badalićeva 27 / 10000 Zagreb / Hrvatska – Croatia
url: www.suma-informatika.hr
mob: +385 91 1234003
fax: +385 1  5560007


On 26. 2. 2013., at 12:00, pve-user-request at pve.proxmox.com wrote:

> Send pve-user mailing list submissions to
> 	pve-user at pve.proxmox.com
> 
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> 	http://pve.proxmox.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pve-user
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> 	pve-user-request at pve.proxmox.com
> 
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> 	pve-user-owner at pve.proxmox.com
> 
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of pve-user digest..."
> 
> 
> Today's Topics:
> 
>   1. Re: Proxmox and NAS4Free (Michael Rasmussen)
>   2. Re: Proxmox and NAS4Free (Paul Gapes)
>   3. Re: Proxmox and NAS4Free (Michael Rasmussen)
>   4. Re: Proxmox and NAS4Free (Diego Barrera)
>   5. Re: Proxmox and NAS4Free (Diego Barrera)
> 
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 22:38:40 +0100
> From: Michael Rasmussen <mir at miras.org>
> To: pve-user at pve.proxmox.com
> Subject: Re: [PVE-User] Proxmox and NAS4Free
> Message-ID: <20130225223840.5f1688d7 at sleipner.datanom.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
> 
> On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 17:06:55 -0300
> F?bio Rabelo <fabio at fabiorabelo.wiki.br> wrote:
> 
>> 
>> Someone uses NAS4Free as storage for Proxmox ?!?
>> 
> I have tried most of the NAS solutions out there, and then some more:-)
> 
> NAS4Free: Stable but the GUI is not so polished. NFS is fine but ISCSI
> sucks. Based on FreeBSD 9.1. Developed by an OSS community.
> FreeNAS: Stable and a nice GUI. NFS is fine but ISCSI sucks. Based on
> FreeBSD 8.3. Backed by a company so payed support is available.
> Openfiler: Project is abandoned.
> Openmediavault: Very young and more or less a one mand project. Quit
> stable but not a race horse. Based on Debian Stable.
> FreeBSD: Same problem, and who wonders, as with FreeNAS and NAS4Free.
> Developed by an OSS community.
> OpenIndiana with napp-it: Same as with all the FreeBSD based systems,
> horrible ISCSI performance on-top of ZFS.
> 
> But we seems to have a winner:
> Ominios with napp-it: Blazingly fast ZFS and rock stable ISCSI as well.
> I am in the middle of conducting a serious performance test which I
> gladly will publish on this list/forum if somebody wants to read it?
> 
> 
> -- 
> Hilsen/Regards
> Michael Rasmussen
> 
> Get my public GnuPG keys:
> michael <at> rasmussen <dot> cc
> http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xD3C9A00E
> mir <at> datanom <dot> net
> http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE501F51C
> mir <at> miras <dot> org
> http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE3E80917
> --------------------------------------------------------------
> Don't abandon hope: your Tom Mix decoder ring arrives tomorrow.
> -------------- next part --------------
> A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
> Name: signature.asc
> Type: application/pgp-signature
> Size: 198 bytes
> Desc: not available
> URL: <http://pve.proxmox.com/pipermail/pve-user/attachments/20130225/284fe0f9/attachment-0001.pgp>
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 21:46:47 +0000
> From: Paul Gapes <Paul.Gapes at wfa.org.nz>
> To: "pve-user at pve.proxmox.com" <pve-user at pve.proxmox.com>
> Subject: Re: [PVE-User] Proxmox and NAS4Free
> Message-ID:
> 	<687D102BC5C435449B6AB16468762DDF08B4160F at WFAEXCH02.corp.wellingtonfreeambulance.org.nz>
> 	
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
> 
> Most definitely of interest thanks Michael.
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: pve-user-bounces at pve.proxmox.com [mailto:pve-user-bounces at pve.proxmox.com] On Behalf Of Michael Rasmussen
> Sent: Tuesday, 26 February 2013 10:39 a.m.
> To: pve-user at pve.proxmox.com
> Subject: Re: [PVE-User] Proxmox and NAS4Free
> 
> On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 17:06:55 -0300
> F?bio Rabelo <fabio at fabiorabelo.wiki.br> wrote:
> 
>> 
>> Someone uses NAS4Free as storage for Proxmox ?!?
>> 
> I have tried most of the NAS solutions out there, and then some more:-)
> 
> NAS4Free: Stable but the GUI is not so polished. NFS is fine but ISCSI sucks. Based on FreeBSD 9.1. Developed by an OSS community.
> FreeNAS: Stable and a nice GUI. NFS is fine but ISCSI sucks. Based on FreeBSD 8.3. Backed by a company so payed support is available.
> Openfiler: Project is abandoned.
> Openmediavault: Very young and more or less a one mand project. Quit stable but not a race horse. Based on Debian Stable.
> FreeBSD: Same problem, and who wonders, as with FreeNAS and NAS4Free.
> Developed by an OSS community.
> OpenIndiana with napp-it: Same as with all the FreeBSD based systems, horrible ISCSI performance on-top of ZFS.
> 
> But we seems to have a winner:
> Ominios with napp-it: Blazingly fast ZFS and rock stable ISCSI as well.
> I am in the middle of conducting a serious performance test which I gladly will publish on this list/forum if somebody wants to read it?
> 
> 
> --
> Hilsen/Regards
> Michael Rasmussen
> 
> Get my public GnuPG keys:
> michael <at> rasmussen <dot> cc
> http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xD3C9A00E
> mir <at> datanom <dot> net
> http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE501F51C
> mir <at> miras <dot> org
> http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE3E80917
> --------------------------------------------------------------
> Don't abandon hope: your Tom Mix decoder ring arrives tomorrow.
> 
> ________________________________
> 
> 
> 
> WFA_Disclaimer
> This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information.
> No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and notify the sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. Wellington Free Ambulance reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state them to be the views of any such entity.
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 3
> Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 23:31:12 +0100
> From: Michael Rasmussen <mir at miras.org>
> To: "Matthew W. Ross" <mross at ephrataschools.org>,
> 	"pve-user at pve.proxmox.com"	<pve-user at pve.proxmox.com>
> Subject: Re: [PVE-User] Proxmox and NAS4Free
> Message-ID: <20130225233112.620022c7 at sleipner.datanom.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> 
> On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 13:48:33 -0800
> "Matthew W. Ross" <mross at ephrataschools.org> wrote:
> 
>> Nice list.
>> 
>> I googled Omnios... no results. Is there a homepage for the project?
>> 
> Certainly: http://omnios.omniti.com/
> 
> An also for those interested omnios is also backed by a commercial
> entity for which payed support is available:
> http://omniti.com/does/omnios
> 
> -- 
> Hilsen/Regards
> Michael Rasmussen
> 
> Get my public GnuPG keys:
> michael <at> rasmussen <dot> cc
> http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xD3C9A00E
> mir <at> datanom <dot> net
> http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE501F51C
> mir <at> miras <dot> org
> http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE3E80917
> --------------------------------------------------------------
> Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
> -------------- next part --------------
> A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
> Name: signature.asc
> Type: application/pgp-signature
> Size: 198 bytes
> Desc: not available
> URL: <http://pve.proxmox.com/pipermail/pve-user/attachments/20130225/c8ca86d7/attachment-0001.pgp>
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 4
> Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 09:12:12 +0100
> From: Diego Barrera <diegonebarrera at yahoo.it>
> To: pve-user at pve.proxmox.com
> Subject: Re: [PVE-User] Proxmox and NAS4Free
> Message-ID: <512C6E5C.8070303 at yahoo.it>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"; Format="flowed"
> 
> Il 25/02/2013 22:38, Michael Rasmussen ha scritto:
>> On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 17:06:55 -0300
>> F?bio Rabelo <fabio at fabiorabelo.wiki.br> wrote:
>> 
>>> Someone uses NAS4Free as storage for Proxmox ?!?
>>> 
>> I have tried most of the NAS solutions out there, and then some more:-)
>> 
>> NAS4Free: Stable but the GUI is not so polished. NFS is fine but ISCSI
>> sucks. Based on FreeBSD 9.1. Developed by an OSS community.
>> FreeNAS: Stable and a nice GUI. NFS is fine but ISCSI sucks. Based on
>> FreeBSD 8.3. Backed by a company so payed support is available.
>> Openfiler: Project is abandoned.
>> Openmediavault: Very young and more or less a one mand project. Quit
>> stable but not a race horse. Based on Debian Stable.
>> FreeBSD: Same problem, and who wonders, as with FreeNAS and NAS4Free.
>> Developed by an OSS community.
>> OpenIndiana with napp-it: Same as with all the FreeBSD based systems,
>> horrible ISCSI performance on-top of ZFS.
>> 
>> But we seems to have a winner:
>> Ominios with napp-it: Blazingly fast ZFS and rock stable ISCSI as well.
>> I am in the middle of conducting a serious performance test which I
>> gladly will publish on this list/forum if somebody wants to read it?
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> pve-user mailing list
>> pve-user at pve.proxmox.com
>> http://pve.proxmox.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pve-user
> 
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://pve.proxmox.com/pipermail/pve-user/attachments/20130226/50db64e0/attachment-0001.html>
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 5
> Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 09:13:47 +0100
> From: Diego Barrera <diegonebarrera at yahoo.it>
> To: pve-user at pve.proxmox.com
> Subject: Re: [PVE-User] Proxmox and NAS4Free
> Message-ID: <512C6EBB.7010808 at yahoo.it>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"; Format="flowed"
> 
> Il 25/02/2013 22:38, Michael Rasmussen ha scritto:
>> I am in the middle of conducting a serious performance test which I 
>> gladly will publish on this list/forum if somebody wants to read it?
> I am very interested!
> Please also shows the details of virtualization solutions on which you 
> performed the test.
> diego
> 
>  * Inglese - rilevata
>  * Inglese
>  * Italiano
> 
>  * Inglese
>  * Italiano
> 
> <javascript:void(0);>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://pve.proxmox.com/pipermail/pve-user/attachments/20130226/7466f1f7/attachment-0001.html>
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> pve-user mailing list
> pve-user at pve.proxmox.com
> http://pve.proxmox.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pve-user
> 
> 
> End of pve-user Digest, Vol 59, Issue 22
> ****************************************

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://pve.proxmox.com/pipermail/pve-user/attachments/20130227/65b9ab01/attachment-0013.html>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: logo2.png
Type: image/png
Size: 7689 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://pve.proxmox.com/pipermail/pve-user/attachments/20130227/65b9ab01/attachment-0013.png>


More information about the pve-user mailing list