[PVE-User] OpenBSD 5.4 under ProxmoxVE 3.1 / KVM 1.4: problems so far

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Sun Dec 29 21:20:50 CET 2013

On 13-12-29 02:10 PM, Michael Rasmussen wrote:
> According to this (Sorry, some parts in French), and also others have
> mentioned it: http://trac.evolix.net/infogerance/wiki/HowtoKVM/OpenBSD
> It seems that mpbios should be disabled. Have you tried that?

Yes.

On PVE 3.0+ and OpenBSD 5.3+ disabling mpbios only makes a difference on
a VM with more than 1 vcpu, and in that case it reduces baseline CPU
usage from ~3-4% down to ~0%.

In older releases, it was necessary to disable mpbios to obtain
acceptable boot times, but that has been resolved.  (I'm not sure which
side fixed it; I started running newer PVE and newer OpenBSD at the same
time.)

Otherwise it does not appear to have any effect when running up-to-date
PVE and OpenBSD.
I have not tested this exhaustively in every combination, so I may have
missed something.

--
-Adam Thompson
  athompso at athompso.net