[PVE-User] Is there any problem using DRBD over LVM?

Flavio Stanchina flavio.stanchina at ies.it
Thu Nov 8 15:44:55 CET 2012

Gilles Mocellin wrote:
> Not in a proxmox context, I also had to answer that question.
>
> I used DRBD over LVM.

How did you then split up the DRBD volume between VMs? Did you configure
a dedicated DRBD resource for each VM?

(or maybe "not in a proxmox context" means there were no VMs involved
and you just used the whole volume for one application, in that case
ignore these questions)

> I think it's the easiest way to handle resizing. I didn't have to
> allocate a whole partition.
> I can use only a small LV to begin, and resize if necessary after. Or
> create another LV for another DRBD volume...
>
> Anyway, what would be difficult to handle is LVM over DRBR over LVM ! >:o

I once configured LVM over DRBR over LVM (on  Proxmox 1.x) and it worked
pretty well, it's the most flexible solution allowing you to move or
resize anything with little or no pain. However, eventually I got rid of
it because it would have been a nightmare to maintain in case of
problems, given the lack of sufficiently skilled Linux sysadmins besides
myself.

--
Flavio Stanchina
Informatica e Servizi