[PVE-User] Problems migrating from Vmware to Proxmox - Windows 2000

Alain Péan alain.pean at lpp.polytechnique.fr
Sat Mar 24 15:31:35 CET 2012

Le 23/03/2012 18:33, claudio.prono at atpss.net a écrit :

> Il 23/03/2012 16.24, Antonio Sanguigni ha scritto:
>> Hi Claudio,
>>
>>> I am trying to migrate a Windows 2000 Server from Vmware to Proxmox VE
>>> 1.9, but after the first boot on Proxmox, appears to me a blue screen
>>> saying:
>>>
>>> INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
>>>
>>> I have followed this guide:
>> I had the same problem but for a Windows XP, but I believe you can
>> solve at the same way. Maybe you can have a look at this link to
>> Proxmox forum. At the end I explained my solutions after very good
>> hints from Proxmox's forum guys
>>
>> http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/8679-Migration-of-physical-Windows-XP-to-virtual?highlight=
>>
>> Antonio
>>
> Uhm, i have tried also with the different .reg file for the ide drivers,
> making a different hardware profile, cleaning it of drivers, tryied to
> make a preallocated virtual disk, converted to raw format, tried to fix
> the disk before boot with trk boot disk, but nothing, that bluescreen is
> always present...
>
> Oh well, next week i try again.
>
> If anyone have some good hint for me, is well accepted.

I have no good hint, but some advices. Windows 2000 is a very old OS and
I verified the list of OS supported by KVM. See :
http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Guest_Support_Status

So, it is reported that windows 2000 works with KVM using qcow2 image
format, but that it is unstable.

Why to you want to use windows 2000 ? It is a completly obsolete, no
more supported by Microsoft since July 2010. Since there, there have
been windows 2003, 2003 R2, 2008, and last 2008 R2. Four generations back !
So, you can try with qcow2, but certainly will have trouble, and best
solution is to use a newer OS (at least 2003...).

Alain