[PVE-User] kvm: 4288: cpu2 unimplemented perfctr wrmsr: 0xc1 data 0xffffffffff1b1e41

Gilles Mocellin gilles.mocellin at nuagelibre.org
Tue Mar 6 17:17:51 CET 2012

On Tue, 6 Mar 2012 11:00:33 +0000, Dietmar Maurer wrote:
>> This is not reliably reproducible.
>> The VM crashes after 5 minutes or 2 days. :(
>
> Well, everyone states that is a harmless warning, so maybe the crash
> is unrelated to that?

Hello,

I also had these kind of problems, only with a 64 bits Windows 2003 VM.

	kvm: 27804: cpu0 unhandled wrmsr: 0x198 data 0

I also see that message, exactly yours, but seems hamrless to my VM :
	kvm: 2812: cpu0 unimplemented perfctr wrmsr: 0x186 data 0x130079

We finally switch to a hardware machine :-(
The machine reboot without any indeication in the eventlog.
We didn't had time to test on a 32bits Windows.
It seems there's a bug with ACPI/windows 2003 64bits.

I can't really say that those errors message are exactly matching my
crashes. Sometimes yes, and sometimes I got crashes without these
message and sometimes I got the message without crash...