[PVE-User] Some questions about PVE 2.0

Julien Garet julien.garet at inria.fr
Tue Jan 3 13:32:59 CET 2012

> > - Is it possible to create virtual machines through the PVE API or CLI
>
> sure
>
> # man qm
> # man pvectl
>
> also see: http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Proxmox_VE_API
> The API allows virtual machines creation ? (I don't see it in the doc
> : http://pve.proxmox.com/pve2-api-doc/)

What about libvirt ? I've seen it is not used in PVE, but can it be used ? Will PVE auto discover libvirt created vms ?

> I am having troubles with PVE 2.0 installation :
> Installation process from ISO fails at grub installation, so I started in debug mode
> and at the end, mounted the boot partition (+ /proc and /dev) on /target then
> chroot to /target and update-grub + grub-install. That allowed me to boot into
> proxmox. Where should I report that problem ?

What error do you get exactly?
from boostrap.log (complete file is attached):

Setting up grub-pc (1.98+20100804-14+squeeze1) ...

Creating config file /etc/default/grub with new version
grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for / (is /dev mounted?).
grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for /boot (is /dev mounted?).
grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for /boot/grub (is /dev mounted?).

> Then, I tried to access to http://myserver:8006 but no daemon listens on port
> 8006. Which one should ? Apache ?

apache

> Apache is not running because of a missing file in /etc/pve/local/... but there is
> nothing in /etc/pve, after some research, it appears that it should be the mount
> point for pmxcfs, how can I mount it ?

# /etc/init.d/pve-cluster start

/etc/init.d/pve-cluster start
Starting pve cluster filesystem : pve-clusterfake start-stop-daemon called
pve configuration filesystem not mounted
.

> For info, when I try to do an aptitude upgrade (in case iso build wasn't up to
> date), I get the following error (doesn't sound good ;-)) :
>
> root at infrahv2:/etc# LANG=C aptitude upgrade
> vzctl
> The following partially installed packages will be configured:
> clvm fence-agents-pve libpve-access-control libpve-storage-perl proxmox-ve-
> 2.6.32 pve-cluster pve-manager qemu-server redhat-cluster-pve
> 1 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 0 B/234 kB of archives. After unpacking 0 B will be used.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] Y
> Reading changelogs... Done
> (Reading database ... 27451 files and directories currently installed.)
> Preparing to replace vzctl 3.0.29-3pve3 (using .../vzctl_3.0.29-
> 3pve8_amd64.deb) ...
> unable to backup existing configuration

please remove '/etc/vz/conf.org' and try again (I assume there are no existing containers?)
No containers yet. Solved problem for vzctl, but not the other packages.
Everything depends directly or not from pve-cluster and pve-cluster has an error : (probably linked to the other problem)

A package failed to install. Trying to recover:
Setting up pve-cluster (1.0-17) ...
invoke-rc.d: policy-rc.d denied execution of restart.
pve configuration filesystem not mounted

dpkg: error processing pve-cluster (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2

-Dietmar