[PVE-User] pve-cluster won't start with large ssh_known_hosts

Derek W. Poon derekp+pve at ece.ubc.ca
Wed Nov 30 00:03:38 CET 2011

With pve-cluster 1.0-12 (Proxmox VE 2.0 beta3), /etc/init.d/pve-cluster fails to start if /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts is larger than 128 kiB.  Could this limit be removed?

I have tracked this down to /usr/bin/pvecm,
which calls PVE::Cluster::ssh_merge_known_hosts(...),
which calls PVE::Tools::file_get_contents($sshglobalknownhosts, 128*1024),
which calls PVE::Tools::safe_read_from(...),
which dies because the maximum length is exceeded.

If you happen to install Proxmox VE on top of an existing Debian system, as I tried to do, and this error occurs, then pve-cluster and all of its dependent packages will fail to be configured.

Derek