[PVE-User] Severe error w. posibility of data loss

Holger Ernst he at ernstdatenmedien.de
Wed Nov 23 11:25:58 CET 2011

Hi,

found a case where I lost data with new PVE2.0:

Situation: The PVE2.0 host is using the same shared disk media as an
other pve host (in this case its an pve1.9) via ISCSI-LVM.

When I create a new kvm client with an id already used by the other
host, there is no warning. Version 2 creates just a second disk
(partition). Not really bad so far.
BUT when I erase the vm it purges ALL partitions which are marked
according to the vm id. So the first one which is used by the other host
is gone too.

This error might occur only if you use shared media with unclustered
hosts. But there are usecases for that....

Best regards, Holger

PS. This might happen with two pve1.9 systems too. I did not test that.