[PVE-User] VMs shut down instead of reboot

Alain Péan alain.pean at lpp.polytechnique.fr
Sun Mar 27 09:19:42 CEST 2011

Le 27/03/2011 01:20, Neil Aggarwal a écrit :
> Hello all:
>
>> When I do a reboot from a VM, it does not start
>
> I have been poking around the OpenVZ docs a bit.
> According to the OpenVZ user guide, there needs to
> be an ALLOWREBOOT="yes" directive in either the
> global vz config file or the vm's config file.
>
> I checked both /etc/vz/vz.conf and /etc/vz/conf/101.conf
> neither had that directive in it.  Is Proxmox not set
> up to support reboots by default?  It seems like it
> should be the other way to me.
>
> I added the ALLOWREBOOT="yes" directive to the
> vz.conf and rebooted my vm with id 101.  It did not
> come up automatically.
>
> Doing some more investigation, the
> /usr/share/vzctl/scripts/vpsreboot script looks
> for a /var/lib/vz/root/101/reboot file in order
> to start the VM.  That file was not present.
> If I touch the file, the VM comes up automatically
> the next time the script runs.
>
> So, it looks like the facility to support reboots
> is in Proxmox but it is disabled by default
> not working correctly when enabled.
>
> How is the /var/lib/vz/root/101/reboot supposed to be
> created?
>
> Thanks,
> 	Neil
>

> --
> Neil Aggarwal, (281)846-8957, http://UnmeteredVPS.net/centos
> Virtual private server with CentOS 5.5 preinstalled
> Unmetered bandwidth = no overage charges

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the feedback. I am not using openvz, but only KVM. In this
case, even with a CentOS VM (I have one), reboot completes fine, and I
did not set up anything peculiar.

But in the case of openvz, I don't know. Can you post your Proxmox
configuration ?
# pveversion -v

It can perhaps depend on the modules you use, for example kernel version.

Alain