[PVE-User] Copy sparse file

Fabien Bagard fabien.bagard at parrot.com
Mon Mar 14 09:32:51 CET 2011

Hi,

If rsync with --sparse option does not work for you, you can also
convert the disk which used to be a sparse file to another format with
the 'qemu-img convert' command, then convert it back to its original format.

Regards,

On 03/12/2011 11:42 AM, StalkR wrote:
> Hello,
>
> You can use rsync [1] with option -S or --sparse to transfer sparse files.
> Obviously, it will only work if sparse files are also handled on the other side.
>
> Sincerely,
> --
> StalkR
>
> [1] http://linux.die.net/man/1/rsync
>
> On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 10:25, CDR<venefax at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> I have a KVM virtual machine ready from a Red Hat installation that i want
>> to use with Proxmox. It is a sparse file. However, if I copy the image via
>> scp to any other box, it becomes a regular file and it assumes its full
>> size. How can I transfer this image as is, i.e., as a sparse file?
>> Federico

Fabien Bagard
IT Department
tel + 33 (0)1 48 03 60 40

Parrot SA
174, Quai de Jemmapes | 75010 Paris - France
tel + 33 (0)1 48 03 60 60 | fax + 33 (0)1 48 03 70 08
http://www.parrot.com

This e-mail message and any attached document(s) are for the sole use of
the intended recipient(s)and may contain confidential and legally
privileged information.
Any unauthorized review, copy, use and/or disclosure is prohibited.
reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original.