[PVE-User] Vmware to Proxmox migration

Alain Péan alain.pean at lpp.polytechnique.fr
Tue Jun 28 14:27:24 CEST 2011

Hi Muhammad,

Did you remove first vmware tools from the VM ? It is the first step
explained in your link for a VMware to Proxmox migration.
Your link points to Physical machine. For a vmware VM (see latter on the
page), you should be able to just use the image file. Personnally, I
would not use a growable (or dynamic) disk image, but a fixed size disk
image (better performance, and insure it will not fill space when
growing), so rename it from vmdk to .raw file.

If you use the vmware tools (then vmware video drivers, or storage
drivers...), inside the VM, they will be recognized by KVM, hence
Proxmox....

Clonezilla is in my opinion only usefull fot physical machine...

Alain

Le 28/06/2011 14:01, Muhammad Yousuf Khan a écrit :
> i have a fully loaded VM in Vmware containing windows 2008 server and
> i want to migrate this machine to Proxmox.
> i followed Clonezilla live CD migration process from here
> http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Migration_of_servers_to_Proxmox_VE#Physical_server_to_Proxmox_VE_.28KVM.29_using_Clonezilla_Live_CDs
>
> but when every thing get completed and i restart the Proxmox VM.  it
> shows "*Press F12 for boot menu*" then "*Booting from Hard disk.....*"
>  after that a black screen come with a white cursor dot on left upper
> cornet and that is all. and i can not see any loading of windows 2008
> i waited 20 minutes but that black screen remains the same.
>
> Can any one please explain this.
>
> Thanks,
>
> MYK

Alain Péan - LPP/CNRS
Administrateur Système/Réseau
Laboratoire de Physique des Plasmas - UMR 7648
Observatoire de Saint-Maur
4, av de Neptune, Bat. A
94100 Saint-Maur des Fossés
Tel : 01-45-11-42-39 - Fax : 01-48-89-44-33