[PVE-User] Monitoring tools for VMs

Robert Fantini robertfantini at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 16:28:23 CET 2011

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 6:20 AM, Alejandro Hiniesta <
alejandrohiniesta at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all:
>
> How will you configure Monit to monitorize if VMs are runing. Do you
> monitorize any server that are install in each VM or there is another way?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Alex
>
> 2011/1/16 Bruce B <bruceb444 at gmail.com>
>
> That is definitely an option. As I am new to monitoring I am gathering all
>> info I can. I understand this can become a large project in itself so it's
>> best to chose wisely and to ask from experts like you guys who know the
>> limitations.
>>
>> Here is something I like about Nagois/Nagvis:
>> http://www.nagvis.org/images/screenshots/c_by_dave_rearden_2.png
>>  <http://www.nagvis.org/images/screenshots/c_by_dave_rearden_2.png>
>> -Bruce
>>
>> On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 12:55 PM, Michael Doerner - TechnologyWise <
>> michael at tw.co.nz> wrote:

>>> Wouldn't then Nagios (http://www.nagios.org/) be an option or do I
>>> misunderstand the question or the requirements?

use monit in vm's .

we use 'mon' on the server to check that vm and services are running.

aptitude show mon

we have mon ping  the i/p address  and more.   I can send you our  /etc/mon/
con.cf file

but here are parts:
hostgroup pingableservers
edi
fbc2
fbc6
fbc7
mail
fbc33
#fbc40
freezer1-mon
proxmox4
proxmox1
phone17
samba

hostgroup httpservers
www

hostgroup smtpservers
smtp

hostgroup managed-switches
10.100.100.25
10.100.100.44
10.100.100.47
10.100.100.77

#Next we need to proceed to configure monitors and alerts for use with the
host groups defined above:

watch managed-switches
 service ping
  interval 10m
  monitor fping.monitor -T
  period
  alert mail.alert fbcadmin at fnfosaoid.com
  upalert mail.alert -S "managed-switch  is back up" fbcadmin at jofisjdoif.com

# do proxmox backups during non watch times or else
# you'll get alerts
watch pingableservers
 service ping
  interval 10m
  monitor fping.monitor -T
  period wd {Sun-Sat} hr {5am-10pm}
  alert mail.alert fbcadmin at osjdf.com
  upalert mail.alert fbcadmin at fjoisjf.com

# 2010-12-22 was 10m , changed to less frequently as monit on mail also does
this
watch smtpservers
 service smtp
  interval 60m
  monitor smtp.monitor -t 60
  period wd {Sun-Sat} hr {5am-10pm}
  numalerts 5
  alert mail.alert fbcadmin at fantinibakery.com
  upalert mail.alert fbcadmin at fantinibakery.com

i can post our full config  if you want.  or maybe a mon and  monit wiki
page somewhere?  we have an internal mediawiki page for both mon and monit
..  i could copy and paste that somethere..