[PVE-User] Proxmox VE 2.0: new layout of NFS directories (and how to fix)

Flavio Stanchina flavio.stanchina at ies.it
Thu Dec 1 12:37:57 CET 2011

I noticed that PVE 2.0 will now create subdirectories within NFS mounts,
for example a directory called "dump" for backups or "template/iso" for
ISO images. I guess this allows one to use a NFS mount for several types
of storage, something that PVE 1.x didn't allow. Is this correct? I
would have checked this myself, but today my 2.0 test server refuses to
create or edit NFS mounts: is this a regression in 2.0 beta 3?

If you have existing NFS exports that you were using with PVE 1.x and
you want to use them with 2.0 without moving files around or changing
the mount points, you can create symlinks to let PVE 2.0 see the files.
For ISO directories:
# mkdir /data/iso/template
# ln -s .. /data/iso/template/iso

For backup directories:
# rmdir /backup/pve/dump
# ln -s . /backup/pve/dump

rmdir is needed because it's likely that PVE has already created an
empty "dump" directory. In my setup it didn't do so on the ISO directory
because it's mounted read-only on the PVE servers (it's managed from
another server).

--
Flavio Stanchina
Informatica e Servizi

by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
  -- Brian W. Kernighan