[PVE-User] Very slow server (RAW IDE discs and KVM)

Muhammad Yousuf Khan sirtcp at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 11:45:30 CEST 2011

perhaps i got the catch here actually you might be backing up 180 GB of data
as you said your VM is 180GB in size. so backup up that amount of data will
kill your IO and chock the bandwidth. Heavy (Big virtual HD) machines as VMs
are not recommended since backup should be the problem. even-though you are
running the whole system on a Desktop machine. i am also running one machine
with the same config as yours in production. my machine contains 7 VMs
of different OS flavor Linux and windows. however all of them are lesser
then 25 GB. i am running this whole bunch for about more then 3 months and
never had the performance issue, by limiting the bandwidth and using less
GBs for Virtual Hard disks.

u can limit the bandwidth by following the instructions below..

Create the /etc/vzdump.conf file with the following content:

bwlimit: 5000

Now Fileserver part. You can use separate hardware machine for the
fileserver if you wanted to use VM just in any case then try to use NAS
solutions. there are few very good popular and free NAS solutions out there
like FreeNAS and Openfiler. i am using Openfiler you can always Attach NFS
or ISCSI to your VMs as a native facility of those NAS boxes. although ISCSI
is not recommended by me if you are using desktop machine as a NAS
BOX because you will not reach throughput of your actual LAN. anyways it is
out of topic. i hope this helps

Thank you,