[PVE-User] Using Public IP onto VM

Hugo Letemplier hugo.let.35 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 11:24:39 CEST 2011

2011/4/29 Flavio Stanchina <flavio.stanchina at ies.it>:
> On 26/04/2011 19:34,
> Bruce B <bruceb444 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have two interfaces on the Proxmox server. One is having the
>> 192.168.0.0/24 range [...]
>> Now I have other public IPs that I can assign from my router
>> or maybe NAT forward. Is it best to do another network on vmbr1 like
>> 192.168.2.0/24 and then assign that to the VMs?
>> or is it easier to get the public IP on vmbr1?
>>
>> I am wondering how this works?
>>
>> I need to be running maybe multiple HTTP servers on VMs.
>
> You should configure networking on the VMs as if they were real servers;
> there's no general answer. Depending on your requirements, you may need to
> have both public ad internal IP addresses on the same machine, isolate VMs
> on a network that is completely separate from the Proxmox servers and/or
> your LAN, have a (virtual, maybe) firewall filtering and redirecting
> connections to the VM, or something completely different: there are so many
> possible configurations that it would take a book just to enumerate them.
>
> That is, if you have any doubts, ask your local network administrator. Your
> question doesn't have much to do with the fact that your servers are
> virtual, except maybe for the added benefit that you can create and destroy
> network adapters at the touch of a button.
>
> --
> Flavio Stanchina
> Informatica e Servizi
> Trento - Italy

I think you can also create a new virtual bridge on your host thats
bound to a vlan of your physical interface then you can bind the
vitrual interface of the VM to the virtual bridge of the host.
It's not a perfect solution, but I dont know your networking
environemnt ! Prefer something with a DMZ and port forwarding
configured on your router.