[PVE-User] Network Tap?

Tony Zakula tony at zakula.com
Mon Jun 21 19:01:41 CEST 2010

I was considering buying a hardware network tap to measure traffic.
Then I was investigating using a white box to load a linux based
passive network tap.  Then I saw a few articles that said Qemu uses
the tun and tap driver for vm to host based networking.  I then
thought, can you create a software based tap" that sends a copy of all
network traffic from each VM to another machine?  Meaning the bare
metal machine with the physical interface would capture a copy of all
network traffic coming from the VM and forward that to another
machine?  Anyone ever do something like this?

Thanks,

Tony Z