[PVE-User] KVM server: connect to VNC console without Java applet?

Derek W. Poon derekp+pve at ece.ubc.ca
Mon Jun 21 10:51:29 CEST 2010

It would be nice if Guacamole VNC proxy <http://guacamole.sourceforge.net/> were integrated into Proxmox VE.  Then all you would need is a reasonably modern browser.

Another advantage of having a pure browser-based VNC viewer is that it would use the browser's HTTP proxy settings.  Currently, if your Proxmox VE server is behind a firewall and is reachable only by a proxy, it's a pain to figure out how to launch your own VNC proxy, create a tunnel, and connect your own VNC client to it.  Furthermore, with Guacamole, the VNC data could be protected with HTTPS, just as the Proxmox UI, rather than being transmitted plaintext.

The disadvantage is that the server needs to run a servlet container, as Guacamole is implemented in Java.  (It probably wouldn't be that hard to re-implement it as an Apache module -- the server side is under 3000 lines of Java code, licensed under the Affero GPL.)

Derek