[PVE-User] Get ip address from KVM/Qemu machine?

Tony Zakula tony at zakula.com
Mon Jul 26 15:55:54 CEST 2010

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 2:47 AM, Dietmar Maurer <dietmar at proxmox.com> wrote:

> > I know you can get the ip address of a container from the host machine.
>
> I am not aware of that feature?
>
> >  I am aware of the /etc/qemu-server/100.conf file for the qemu
> > machines, but that does not contain the ip address.  I am using an
> > Ubuntu Server in the KVM.  Is there any way to get the ip address being
> > used from the Proxmox host?  Or on the host bridge using ip tables?
> >  Does anyone have an idea?  My last piece to my puzzle.
>
> Most users have a DHCP servers somewhere. So the VMs directly get there IPs
> from that DHCP server.
>
> - Dietmar

Thank you.  However, I am trying to engineer a hosting environment where
each ip address would be a dedicated NAT.  I would like to use the Proxmox
hardware node to do all the accounting of ip traffic of each VM guest which
will then feed to a centralized server.  My theory is that this eliminates
performance issues upstream of taking care of this.  I have most of this
working.  Since you cannot reach inside of a guest KVM, I need to find
another way using the hardware node bridge which is using iptables if
possible.  I am sure it can be done.  I just haven't figured it out yet.

Tony Z