[PVE-User] vmware on proxmox

Martin Maurer martin at proxmox.com
Tue Feb 3 18:50:29 CET 2009

I really do not suggest this, but I got some minutes time and I just tried to install vm-ware server 2 (64-bit) with success.

I order to run the vmware installer, you need:
- install the build system (apt-get install build-essential)
- download our kernel headers and install (wget ftp://pve.proxmox.com/debian/dists/etch/pve/binary-amd64/pve-headers-2.6.24-2-pve_2.6.24-5_amd64.deb and install via dpkg -i pve-he...)

After success you need to unload the KVM module as this conflicts with the VMware (rmmod kvm_intel, rmmod kvm) So finally you can use vmware and still openVZ, but not KVM.

I do not suggest this for production but maybe this is still interesting for someone who needs OpenVZ with the Proxmox VE gui and VMware.

Br, martin