[PVE-User] New Proxmox VE Kernels (2.6.18 - 2.6.24 - 2.6.32)

Alain Péan alain.pean at lpp.polytechnique.fr
Wed Dec 23 11:48:08 CET 2009

Dietmar Maurer a écrit :
>> What is the rationale behind these three kernel releases ? As I
>> understand this, with the 2.6.18 kernel supporting KVM, it could be :
>> - 2.6.18 kernel as released by Red Hat for RHEL 5.4, with KVM
>> backported
>> in  this kernel; as well as all drivers updates from Red Hat. And this
>> should be the officiel kernel supported by Openvz.
>>

> 2.6.18 is the only kernel with support from the OpenVZ team.
>
> In fact, OpenVZ stopped any development on other kernel branches. So
> this kernel is best for users which want to use OpenVZ and KVM together.
>

>> - 2.6.24 : the standard proxmox-ve kernel.
>>

> This is what we had so far.
>

>> - 2.6.32 : Vanilla kernel, without OpenVZ support ?
>>

> Many users want to run KVM only. This kernel provides the latest features (KSM, ...)
> Unfortunately, there is no OpenVZ support.

Yes, I know that. My question was in fact ifit was a vanilla or not.

If I understand correctly, you plan to discard the 2.6.24 kernel, as the
Red Hat backport of KVM in 2.6.18 allows you to use the same kernel as
the one supported by OpenVZ. And at the other end, you are willing to
use also the 2.6.32 kernel with KSM.

I was a bit surprised, because, from previous thread or messages, it
seemed you were reluctant to support two branches, with all the
additionan work and tests needed...

But it is for me a good news.

Thanks for your work !

Alain