[PVE-User] 2.6.32 kernel - network adapters other than virtio don't work

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Wed Dec 23 10:38:16 CET 2009

On 23.12.2009 03:37, Fred Supinski wrote:
> Is it just my deployments, or do non-virtio network adapters prevent
> guests from posting when using the 2.6.32 kernel?

It is because when virtio is in use, OpenVZ's "fairsched" is disabled
(which causes trouble for virtio network cards).

2.6.32 does not support OpenVZ, and therefore, kvm binary wants to use
"fairsched", but doesn't find it and fails.

The solution is to add a dummy virtio card along the other network card
(e1000) etc. Then, kvm would not use "fairsched" and everything would
start properly.

Unless there are other workarounds I'm not aware of.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org