[PVE-User] Restore a kvm vm on a server with no IntelVT support

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Wed Dec 16 10:21:44 CET 2009

On 16.12.2009 10:14, Martin Maurer wrote:

>> There are still a lot of servers with no hardware virtualization
>> support. Suppose i have only one server with this feature in my proxmox
>> cluster. How can I restore the kvm virtual machines created there, on
>> other proxmox nodes without this feature?
>
> Not possible. If you want KVM, you need the right hardware.

Depending on what he means by "restore".

If he just needs access to guest files, there will be no problems.

Also, Proxmox VE will theoretically work without proper CPU support
(albeit slow, so definitely not recommended). I once started a server
with CPU virtualization disabled in BIOS, and KVM guests started. If
it's just temporary, and the guests are mostly idle, it should work.

Another possibility is to convert the guests to OpenVZ (if they are
Linux guests).

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org