[PVE-User] New to proxmox, have some questions.

Matthew W. Ross mross at ephrataschools.org
Wed Dec 2 23:33:42 CET 2009

Hello there.

I just discovered ProxMox today. Thank you for making such a wonderful product! It is by far the easiest to use virtualization solution I have come across, and I've been looking.

I have a few questions, though:

What's behind the name ProxMox? Is it pronounced "Procks-Mocks"?

I know that there is no support for Software Raid in ProxMox. Has anybody had success using various squishy-raids such as the bios-level raid such as the Intel MatrixRaid series?

I have made a few quick and dirty virtual machines so I can test some basic functionality I'll need from time to time. One I haven't been able to figure out is resizing of the images. I see the image is named as ".raw", are these images in raw format? Is there a documented or well known preferred method on how to expand the size of a drive? Will a future version of ProxMox include this capabilty within the web interface?

I know _very_ little about virtualization technology. From my mind, virtualization should be trivial with any VT enabled CPU. Knowing it's much more complicated than that, I'm also very excited about KVM, especially as new technology like the KSM functionality. Is there work being done to integrate KSM into ProxMox?

Thanks for any insight. Now I need to go home and price out a home virtual server or two for myself!

--Matt Ross
Ephrata School District