[PVE-User] Feedback

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Wed May 14 08:38:36 CEST 2008

Hi Paul,

Many thank for that story - really interesting.

> Some 'would be nice to have' improvements -
>
> Installation -
>
> 1) When selecting the hard drive to install to, also display
> the disk sizes and possibly the logical disk labels (from the
> raid controller)

Displaying sizes is possible, but i have no idea howto get disk labels
from the raid controller? Or are you talking about
/sys/block/XXX/device/model

> 2) When the install begins, check all attached hard disks for
> existing LVM volume groups, named pve.
>     If one exists, use a different name, or rename the old
> one (maybe pve2, etc ?).
>     This will enable you to do a fresh install on seperate
> disks, but still be able to access the existing virtual
> servers or files, for migration.

I doubt we can implement that - The installer will simple gets to
complex.

> 3) A choice for which network card to use, or to be able to
> configure all networking options during install
>      i.e. can configure all network cards, bridge_ports,
> vlans, nic bonding, etc
>     Possibly have a quick install, and advanced install

Again, one design goal is too keep the installer simple. Maybe we can
add an advanced install sometimes in the future, but not for 1.0

> 4) I read a couple of threads regarding vlans and bonding,
> and couldn't find the packages in aptitude, to read the package info
>     It took me a little while to figure this one out.
>     However, you mentioned it in a recent post, and set 'deb
> ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian etch main' in your apt souces
>     Would it be better to select from a list of mirrors,
> during install - i.e. I set mine to 'deb
> http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian etch main'

We don't want to ask users. Instead we need a way to autodetect the best
mirror - but currently I don't know how to do it. Any ideas?

> Web console -
>
> 1) To be able to add a new bridge. Then when creating a new
> virtual server, the option to select the new bridge (veth, tap)
>      I know the drop down for the bridge is there, but I
> can't seem to make another bridge appear in it.
>
>     I've tried the following -
>
>     iface vmbr1 inet static
>         address  xxxxx
>         netmask  xxxxx
>         gateway  xxxxx
>         bridge_ports eth1
>
>     This works from a debian/networking point of view, but
> vmbr1 doesn't appear anywhere in the web console.

That is planned for V1.0

- Dietmar