[PVE-User] The future of PVE

Martin Maurer martin at proxmox.com
Fri Jul 4 09:50:45 CEST 2008

Hi Jeremiah,

> I'm building a server for an organization who, for all intents and
> purposes, is a non-profit hosting provider.  We've already decided to
> use OpenVZ, but until last night hadn't played around with PVE.  I
> really like it so far, I really think it'll fit our needs well.  I read
> on the forum that 0.9 can - and probably is - being used in production
> environments.  So I have a few questions before I decide on using it in
> production:
>
> 1. What will the upgrade process to 1.0 be like?  Will I be able to
> just download a .deb, install and reboot?  Or is this the kind of thing
> where we'll have to migrate the machines over to another machine and
> re-install with a new iso?

[Martin Maurer]
We have a repository providing easy updates (deb packages). We try to make updates very easy.

> 2. Will it always be open source?  I noticed a "valid keys" thing in
> one of the perl modules that makes me think it'll only stay open source
> through the beta.

[Martin Maurer]
Yes, Proxmox VE is now and in future open source.
(We use public keys to sign files from our server (the appliance download server).

> 3. ZDNet says "ProxMox is still very much beta code", but in my little
> bit of testing I couldn't really see a reason for this.  Is the OpenVZ
> part of PVE more stable than the KVM side?

[Martin Maurer]
Yes, for a beta we are quite stable. Some features are missing (e.g. the vzdump backup via web interface) but the system is already used in production by some people.
You can expect a second beta in a few weeks, extending KVM capabilities (and newest versions of KVM and OpenVZ).

Best Regards,

Martin Maurer

martin at proxmox.com
http://www.proxmox.com