[pve-devel] [RFC storage 10/23] plugin: introduce new_backup_provider() method

Fiona Ebner f.ebner at proxmox.com
Thu Jul 25 15:25:21 CEST 2024

Am 25.07.24 um 15:11 schrieb Fiona Ebner:
> Am 25.07.24 um 11:48 schrieb Max Carrara:
>> For the specific types we can always then provide helper functions that
>> handle common cases that implementors can use.
>>
>> Extending on my namespace idea above, those helpers could then land in
>> e.g. `PVE::Backup::Provider::Common`, `PVE::Backup::Provider::Common::LXC`,
>> etc.
>>

> Could you give an example for such a helper? I rather feel like things
> like libnbd will be that, i.e. for accessing the NBD export, not sure if
> we can create common helpers that would benefit multiple providers, each
> has their own backend they'll need to talk to after all and might have
> quite different needs.

Actually, this just gave me an idea (not for a helper method though :P).
We can provide a simpler mechanism than NBD, by just exposing the block
device with qemu-nbd ourselves first and also reading the bitmap
ourselves first, then passing the path to the block device and the
bitmap info to the provider.