[pve-devel] [RFC qemu] fix #3231+#3631: PVE backup: fail backup rather than guest write when backup target cannot be reached or is too slow

Fabian Grünbichler f.gruenbichler at proxmox.com
Fri Jul 5 11:41:07 CEST 2024

Quoting Fiona Ebner (2024-06-10 14:59:35)
> A long-standing issue with VM backups in Proxmox VE is that a slow or
> unreachable target would lead to a copy-before-write (cbw) operation
> to break the guest write rather than abort the backup. This is
> unexpected to users and the will end up without a successful backup
> and without a working guest in such cases. This series prevents the
> latter by changing the behavior to fail the backup instead of the
> guest write.
>
> This is done by re-using the already existing 'on-cbw-error' and
> 'cbw-timeout' options that are already used for fleecing and having
> regular backup also check for the cbw's snapshot_error (unfortunately
> this becomes a bit of a misnomer). If a given copy-before-write
> operation cannot complete within 45 seconds, it's extremely likely
> that aborting the backup is the better choice than keeping the guest
> IO blocked.
>
> Just checking for the error already makes it work (i.e. without the
> last two patches), but backup can only check the error at the end. To
> abort backup immediately, an error callback for the copy-before-write
> node is introduced. A potential alternative would be give the
> block-copy operation a pointer to the snapshot_error and have it check
> it during its operation, but my initial attempt failed. Likely I
> missed adapting certain logic that checks for whether the block-copy
> operation failed and it's questionable if this approach would be
> cleaner. An error callback is nice and explicit.
>
> Note for testers: if e.g. the PBS is compeletly unreachable, the
> backup job still will need to wait until the in-flight request is
> aborted after 15 minutes. But the guest writes should be fast again.
>
> Should it really be required to make the option more flexible, i.e.
> allow users to specify a custom timeout or go back to the old behavior
> then the 'backup' QMP call can be extended with those parameters.
>
> Unfortunately, this is a non-trivial amount of code to make it work,
> but there is quite a bit of boilerplate and some comments, so
> hopefully the logic is straight-forward enough.

this sentence here made me except a lot worse ;) code seems very
straight-forward and clean, two small comments inline. not sure whether we want
to entangle this with 9.0, but I think this could be applied soonish after some
more in-depth testing, since it should solve a pretty big pain point user
consistenly run into..

I am sure we will have users clamoring for a configurable timeout soon after
though ;)