[pve-devel] Feature Request: Enhancing Error Messaging

Fabian Grünbichler f.gruenbichler at proxmox.com
Tue Jul 2 15:22:38 CEST 2024

> Rovshan Pashayev <rovshan.pashayev at veeam.com> hat am 02.07.2024 15:02 CEST geschrieben:
> Hello Fabian,
>
> Example:
> If we attempt to start VM with problematic storages from WebUI, we might see following error (example):
> https://i.ibb.co/Lx5QjCg/image-2.png
>
> But if we attempt start action via SSH request we get both output in the one line (example):
> WARN: no efidisk configured! Using temporary efivars disk. storage 'NFS_pve-storage' does not exist
>
> Which causes confusion, during differentiating errors.

please post "pveversion -v" and the contents of the corresponding task file for that start task (/var/log/pve/tasks/...). it seems very likely that this issue is on your end (i.e., with the terminal/shell/.. you are using?)).

the screenshot would indicate that the task log is correct. if I manually try to provoke the same error and run "qm start XXX" in a shell, there is a proper new line between the warning line and the final line with the fatal error:

$ qm start 740001
generating cloud-init ISO
WARN: no efidisk configured! Using temporary efivars disk.
storage 'ext3' does not exist

note that everything but the last line is printed on STDOUT, while the last line is printed on STDERR..