[pve-devel] Feature Request: Enhancing Error Messaging

Fabian Grünbichler f.gruenbichler at proxmox.com
Tue Jul 2 14:19:46 CEST 2024

> Rovshan Pashayev via pve-devel <pve-devel at lists.proxmox.com> hat am 02.07.2024 12:50 CEST geschrieben:

> We kindly request the implementation of enhanced error messaging. Currently, all errors and failures are combined into a single string, making it difficult to identify and address specific issues.

which errors? for which actions/API endpoints/..?

> Please consider introducing error codes or a similar mechanism to provide a structured format for error reporting. This would improve the user experience and expedite troubleshooting during third-party backup processes.

we try to keep the errors meaningful and easy to understand. if you have concrete examples that could benefit from more detail or changed contents, feel free to file issues at https://bugzilla.proxmox.com

we are not planning to add error codes (like E1234) to our error messages at the moment - in our experience, those don't provide much added benefit at the level of interaction PVE usually provides.

structured error types can make sense for low level interfaces (where callers might decide on a course of action based on the error, like retrying). note that we do differentiate between lacking permissions, bad parameters and other errors also on the API level.