[pve-devel] Question about Storage Plug-in and failover architecture

Dominik Csapak d.csapak at proxmox.com
Tue Aug 27 13:40:12 CEST 2024

On 8/20/24 14:07, Jain, Piyush via pve-devel wrote:

> Hello Team,

Hi, sorry for the late answer.

> I am new to the community, and I have few basic questions that I would like to clarify:
>

>    1.  Can you share details on how to develop a storage plugin for Proxmox?)

Some information can be found here: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage_Plugin_Development
If there is some more specific questions, you can ask here on the pve-devel mailing list

>    2.  Can you also share some more details how do achieve replication of virtual machines between to different datacentres running Proxmox clusters to provide site failover?

currently we only support guest replication only within one cluster and only on zfs

but what do you want to achieve exactly?

with shared storage (as in, available on more hosts in the cluster simultaneously), our ha
stack can fail over the guests to other nodes in case a node looses quorum

so if your storage is 'shared', there shouldn't be anything special to be done

hope this helps
kind regard
Dominik