[pve-devel] issues with Virtio-SCSI devicde on Proxmox...

Christian Moser cmos at maklee.com
Mon Aug 12 12:40:10 CEST 2024

Hello,

I work for VSI (VMS Software Inc) which is porting the OpenVMS operating system to x86. At this point we successfully on various
hypervisors, but have some issues on the KVM running on Proxmox.

The OpenVMS VM works just fine with SATA disks and it also works with for example virtio-network device etc., but trying to use
virtio-scsi hangs  the driver. I have debugged this and I can successfully configure the port/controller, send the IO request to the
device. It then gets processed by the device, which posts the results and sets the interrupt bit in the ISR register, but it never
asserts the interrupt hence the driver never gets notified and the I/O hangs.

I have tried both “virtio-scsi-pci” and “virtio-scsi-single”, but no luck. The emulated virtio-scsi device is a legacy device. But
then again, the virtio-network device is also a legacy device and here we are getting interrupts. One thing which bothers me is the
fact that the “legacy interrupt disable” bit is set in the PCI config space of the virtio-scsi device (i.e. bit 10 at offset 4)

Questions:
*	is there a way to configure a modern virtio-scsi devcie (i.e. disable_legacy=on) ?
*	why is the legacy interrupt bit set in the PCI config space ?
*	Are there any working driver for virtio-scsi on this KVM using Q35 machine? i.e. any other OS

Any thoughts why these interrupts are not getting delivered on the PCIE bus?

thanks

/cmos

Christian Moser
Mobile:    +358-40-5022105