[pve-devel] [RFC manager/container/qemu-server/guest-common 0/4] fix #4474: stop tasks may overrule shutdown tasks

Friedrich Weber f.weber at proxmox.com
Wed Sep 27 11:04:26 CEST 2023

Lost track of this a bit, reviving due to user interest [1].

As the series does not apply anymore, I'll send a new version in any
case, but wanted to ask for feedback before I do.

My questions from the cover letter still apply:

On 26/01/2023 09:32, Friedrich Weber wrote:
> * Does it make sense to have overruling optional? Or should "stop"
>   generally overrule shutdown? This might lead to confusing
>   interactions, as Thomas noted [0].
> * Backend: Is there a more elegant way to overrule shutdown tasks,
>   and a better place than pve-guest-common?
> * Frontend: When stopping a VM/CT, we already ask for confirmation.
>   Is an (occasional) second modal dialog with a lot of text a good user
>   experience? Alternatively, I could imagine a checkbox in the first
>   dialog saying "Overrule any active shutdown tasks".

Actually I don't really like the second modal dialog. What about the
following: When the user clicks "Stop" and the frontend detects an
active shutdown task, the already-existing "Confirm" dialog has an
additional default-off checkbox "Kill active shutdown tasks" (or
similar). This way the default behavior does not change, but users do
not have to kill active shutdown tasks manually anymore.

[1] https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/16235/post-590240