[pve-devel] Plan for (invasive) shrink of pve-manager git repository

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Sun May 28 20:51:17 CEST 2023

Am 28/05/2023 um 20:38 schrieb Thomas Lamprecht:
> For re-aligning your local master branch you can do a hard-reset, BUT check
> if you got any local commits yet (move them over to another branch with e.g.
> `git checkout -b feature-to-re-apply-on-master`
>
> git checkout master
> git reset --hard origin/master
>
> Then re-create your active development branches freshly from the master
> and cherry-pick the relevant patches from the old branch.
>
> After that you can delete the old branches.

Two things I forgot to mention, after above and ensuring no remote or branch
refers to the old git repo anymore, you can use the following to shrink:

git gc --aggressive --prune=now

But, moving the current pve-manager dir to a backup location and just cloning
freshly is waay faster

The other thing was that I had to split out sencha-touch ZIP into it's own repo
before the filter-repo clean up, it lives now in a libjs-sencha-touch package
and its source can be found here: https://git.proxmox.com/?p=sencha-touch.git;a=summary

(and just for completeness sake, note that this was only done for pure compat
reasons only, the mobile UI in PVE that uses it is pretty bare bones and doesn't
gets much love, we should replace it by something slightly more future proof some
day).

cheers,
 Thomas