VNC Console using our own portal

Mark Schouten mark at tuxis.nl
Thu Apr 13 15:06:19 CEST 2023

Hi,

Not sure if this thread should exist on this list, if not, let me know
and I’ll repost to pve-users. However, I think there are more people
here that know how to achieve what I’m looking for. :)

We’re building a portal for our VPS services and so far we’ve been happy
users of the PVE API. However, we’re now trying to make the Console
available, and that seems to be quite difficult. As far as I can see,
it’s not documented either, so I’m kinda stuck reverse engineering all
this.

So far I’ve found out that I can just proxy /novnc/ to the relevant
cluster to get the HTML/CSS/JS in my browser. But to get VNC working, I
need to:
1: Start the vncproxy using POST
/api2/json/nodes/{node}/qemu/{vmid}/vncproxy
2: Use that output to create a new request

But what should that new request be? And do I need API-Auth keys as
well, or is the ticket created by the API call enough? Should I add all
the data as HTTP headers, or can I put them in the url parameters?

Have I missed documentation on how to set this up?

Thanks,

—
Mark Schouten, CTO
Tuxis B.V.