[pve-devel] [RFC manager] fix #3248: GUI: storage: upload multiple files

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Tue Jul 5 08:50:18 CEST 2022

On 01/07/2022 16:21, Dominik Csapak wrote:
> a few high level comments:
>
> (mentioned it already offline): the window is imho too big. we try to make it functional
> at 1280x720 and for that the window is too tall. maybe make it automatically smaller
> in that case?
>
> even with the big window, the columns are too narrow to be really functional.
> filename/progress/etc were all cut off here with my test isos
> (standard linux distro isos)
>
> the popping in&out of the task viewer is a bit irritating, since with fast
> storage, i don't get a chance to really read the task log before
> it closes on me.. i think it'd be better if we'd just poll the task
> in the background and e.g. add a spinner to the progress bar
> with: 'copying & verifying' (or similar) and only open the task
> log in case of an error

Storage and network links that are fast enough to make a GiB+ ISO file upload
flicker may not be that rare but I'd think that it isn't the norm too.

Maybe add a wrapper with at the top having a progress bar with completed/total
uploads as progress indicator and a (maybe collapsible) panel below, with the
current task log and nothing else, for when the upload(s) actually get
processed/submitted.

> i can add the same isos multiple times. does that make sense?
> i know i can use different target names for them, but what would
> that be good for? imho preventing the user from uploading
> the same iso multiple times would be good

+1, makes not much sense IMO too.

> i can add isos while there are still ones uploading, was this intentional?
>
> i think what could make the whole thing a bit better in general is
> by having the selecting and uploading part split into two windows:
>
> a select window where you select isos/enter checksums etc.
> and when clicking start upload, open a different window with only
> the names & progress.
>
> that way the window is not that overloaded and can be smaller
> without losing any functionality

Yeah making it more wizard like (i.e., splitting up steps into separate
"view units") is often a good way to reduce complexity for both the devs
and the users.