[pve-devel] [RFC v10 qemu-server 6/7] api: support VM disk import

Fabian Grünbichler f.gruenbichler at proxmox.com
Thu Jan 27 11:43:37 CET 2022

On January 27, 2022 9:21 am, Fabian Ebner wrote:
> Am 26.01.22 um 13:42 schrieb Fabian Grünbichler:
>>
>> that way we can skip deactivation altogether (it's only relevant for
>> shared storages that require it for migration, and by locking the owning
>> VM and having a requirement for it to be on the same node at import-time,
>> no migration can happen in parallel anyway..). or we could deactivate if
>> an owning VM exists and is not running, like we do at the end of full
>> clones.
>
> Sounds good. We actually only deactivate at the end of full clone if the
> clone was to a different target node. Since the new config moves to a
> different node then, deactivating the cloned volumes is required of
> course, but I /think/ deactivating the source volumes is actually
> optional (why should it depend on whether there's a target or not?).

yeah, that is a bit strange. the source can stay activated IMHO.

of course the target for full_clone needs to be de-activated if the
clone is a cross-node operation, but that is never the case for
importing (if we require owning VMs of source volumes to be on the
current node), so we could also leave those activated or just do
whatever we do in the regular creation path ;)