[pve-devel] auto ballooning && ksm thresholds both at 80%

DERUMIER, Alexandre Alexandre.DERUMIER at groupe-cyllene.com
Mon Jan 3 09:20:21 CET 2022

Le vendredi 31 décembre 2021 à 15:31 +0100, Dietmar Maurer a écrit :
Currently both are at 80%,
that mean that ballooning is vm reducing memory fast, and ksm don't
have time to run.

as ballooning is a lot more intrusive than ksm, I wonder if it couldn't
be set to something like 90%.

That sounds reasonable to me, but can you see that theoretical effect when you run your test?

Hi Dietmar,
Happy new year ! (I'm currently in holiday this week, so, I check that next week)

I'll do more tests to be sure. (I don't use ballooning in production, but I'm a big user of ksm, I have some big nodes with something like 200GB ksm on 700GB servers).

My Idea behind this is to implement auto-balancing, vm migration, when memory threshold is between ksm && autoballoonig).

1) 80%: ksm
2) ~= 85-89% : auto balancing/migration
3) ~= 90% : auto ballonning
4) ~= 100% : swap