[pve-devel] MooseFS storage plugin

Fabian Grünbichler f.gruenbichler at proxmox.com
Tue Apr 19 12:14:20 CEST 2022

On April 19, 2022 4:15 am, Benjamin via pve-devel wrote:
> I've hacked together a really basic first try.
>
> https://github.com/Zorlin/pve-moosefs/blob/main/MooseFSPlugin.pm
>
> I'm getting this error which I don't fully understand -
>
> Can't locate object method "mkpath" via package "/mnt/mfs" (perhaps you
> forgot to load "/mnt/mfs"?) at
> /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Storage/Custom/MooseFSPlugin.pm line 111. (500)

the current state seems to be basically equivalent to the following
(which doesn't require a custom plugin ;)):
- ensure moosefs gets mounted (.mount unit, fstab, ..) at boot
- dir plugin entry with is_mountpoint set

the first part is handled by activate_storage in your plugin, the second
part makes the dir plugin only active (or activatable) if something is
mounted at the configured path (otherwise, failure to mount the moosefs
would lead to using the local empty mountpoint dir, which is of course
not desired!)

might be an avenue worth exploring if all the interaction between PVE
and the storage besides the storage activation itself is via dir
semantics/the dir plugin code ;) of course if there are more aspects
that do require interacting with the moosefs server when doing certain
storage operations, a custom plugin is the way to go (with all the
caveats Thomas already mentioned).