[pve-devel] [RFC manager 0/4] Ceph add basic erasure code pool mgmt support

Aaron Lauterer a.lauterer at proxmox.com
Fri Apr 8 12:14:12 CEST 2022

This RFC series adds basic support to create erasure coded (EC) pools
with the PVE tooling.

We need to first manage EC profiles as they are the important part when
someone wants to use EC pools. They define how the data is split up and
how much coding/parity one wants.

The actual creation of the EC pools follows the same approach we use for
cephfs pools. One metadata and one EC coded data pool. More details in
the actual patches.

The first patch is one that we should have added when we added basic
support for ec pools [0].

I sent it as RFC mainly to get some feedback, especially regarding the
CLI interface for the profile management and if the approach on how to
create EC pools, by adding an optional 'ecprofile' parameter to
pool create, is one we are okay with from an interface POV.

More details can be found in the individual patches.

[0] https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-storage.git;a=commit;h=ef2afce74aba01f2ab698a5477f5e396fa4d3725

Aaron Lauterer (4):
  api: ceph: $get_storages check if data-pool too
  pveceph: add management for erasure code rules
  ceph tools: add check if erasure code profile exists
  ceph pools: allow to create erasure code pools

 PVE/API2/Ceph.pm            |   6 +
 PVE/API2/Ceph/ECProfiles.pm | 249 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 PVE/API2/Ceph/Makefile      |   1 +
 PVE/API2/Ceph/Pools.pm      |  55 +++++++-
 PVE/CLI/pveceph.pm          |  12 ++
 PVE/Ceph/Tools.pm           |  21 ++-
 create mode 100644 PVE/API2/Ceph/ECProfiles.pm

--
2.30.2