[pve-devel] [RFC v2 0/4] Initial TPM support for VMs

Stefan Reiter s.reiter at proxmox.com
Thu Sep 23 16:54:55 CEST 2021

Makes Windows 11 (test build) happy: https://i.imgur.com/kZ0Mpnr.jpeg

Tested under Linux as well, works with (updated) OVMF and SeaBIOS, though
SeaBIOS requires clearing via the BIOS setup screen and may not support all
features it seems (e.g. Windows shows the TPM, but doesn't allow BitLocker,
presumably because it requires UEFI).

Requires patched swtpm with my PR applied:
https://github.com/stefanberger/swtpm/pull/513

= Known Issues =

Backups currently don't work. This is due to the fact that we use QEMU to write
out all data - but QEMU doesn't know about the backing store of swtpm.  This is
quite an issue, and I'm not yet sure how to best handle it. We could include the
TPM as a "blob" like the config (as it's fairly small), but I need to think
through the timing so consistency is not affected.

swtpm_setup doesn't support the backing-uri parameter correctly yet (see also
the PR for a bit more info), which means we can't generate the initial TPM state
to our liking yet. This doesn't seem to affect operation much, but is not the
recommended and documented way of using swtpm.

TPM state cannot be stored on non-krbd Ceph, as RBD user-space support is not
implemented in swtpm (yet). Workaround would be to always enable krbd for TPM
state volumes. This is an issue in general, as swtpm currently only works with
files/devices that have an entry in the file system hierarchy.

An interesting way around some of these issues would be NDB support in swtpm and
accessing the backing store via QEMU's driver stack.

RFC v1 -> RFC v2:
* with the above PR, we can store state in a single file/block device, thus we
  can treat it similar to an efidisk - this eliminates any concerns about
  storing on pmxcfs
* always allocate the state as 4 MiB (on directory storage it might auto-shrink)
* fixes migration, since source and destination are now different
* add GUI patch

edk2-firmware: Stefan Reiter (1):
  enable TPM and TPM2 support

 debian/rules | 4 ++++
 1 file changed, 4 insertions(+)

storage: Stefan Reiter (1):
  import: don't check for 1K aligned size

 PVE/Storage/Plugin.pm | 1 -
 1 file changed, 1 deletion(-)

qemu-server: Stefan Reiter (1):
  fix #3075: add TPM v1.2 and v2.0 support via swtpm

 PVE/API2/Qemu.pm        |   5 ++
 PVE/QemuMigrate.pm      |  14 ++++-
 PVE/QemuServer.pm       | 135 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++---
 PVE/QemuServer/Drive.pm |  63 +++++++++++++++----

manager: Stefan Reiter (1):
  ui: add support for adding TPM devices

 www/manager6/Makefile                    |  1 +
 www/manager6/Utils.js                    |  2 +-
 www/manager6/form/DiskStorageSelector.js |  5 +-
 www/manager6/qemu/HDMove.js              |  1 +
 www/manager6/qemu/HDTPM.js               | 88 ++++++++++++++++++++++++
 www/manager6/qemu/HardwareView.js        | 25 ++++++-
 create mode 100644 www/manager6/qemu/HDTPM.js

--
2.30.2