[pve-devel] ceph create pool with min_size=1 not possible anymore with last gui wizard

Maximilian Hill mhill at inett.de
Mon Jun 7 11:42:59 CEST 2021

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 07, 2021 at 09:14:13AM +0200, Dominik Csapak wrote:
> On 6/7/21 08:57, aderumier at odiso.com wrote:

> > > yes, in our experience, setting min_size to 1 is always a bad idea
> > > and most likely not what you want
> > >
> > > what is possible though is to either create the pool on the cli,
> > > or changing the min_size after creation to 1 (this is not blocked)
> > >
> > yes, Sute. I could be great to be able to change size/min_size from the
> > gui too.
> >

> this should already possible in current versions, but as i said
> not for pool creation, only afterwards

In my opinion, setting min_size below 2 and size below 3 shouldn't be
possible at all. Both shouldn't be done unless you really know what you're
doing. At that point, you know enough about Ceph to just type that one
command.

That has nothing to do with an easy and safe Ceph setup and the
possibility in itself might lead to unseafe setups by users without
enough knowlege about Ceph.

Maybe a strong opinion, but --yes-i-really-mean-it

Max